In-Home Mental Health Therapy Services in Atlanta, GA
A youth’s struggle with mental health can be felt and seen in various areas of life. The weight of problems associated with mental illness often impacts a person’s relationships, environment, and overall quality of life. While some youth struggling with mental illness find success with traditional outpatient therapy, others benefit more from treatment that supports the numerous systems the youth encounters daily.
Serving Metro Atlanta, Surrounding Counties and Lowcountry Areas
At Hillside, we believe that children, adolescents and young adults with intensive social and emotional needs are best cared for within their home and community environment whenever possible. With the support of the entire family system, we work with clients throughout various Georgia communities to bring hope and healing.
- Bibb County
- Warner Robins
- Bryan County
- Fort Stewart
- Richmond Hill
- Bulloch County
- Chatham County
- Garden City
- Isle Of Hope-Dutch Island
- Ossabaw Island
- Port Wentworth
- Skidaway Island
- Tybee Island
- Whitemarsh Island
- Wilmington Island
- Effingham County
- St. Simons
What Is the Focus of In-Home Mental Health Care?
The focus of Hillside’s in-home mental health care is to provide therapy and support services for children and their families when a child, adolescent or young adult has a mental health diagnosis. The goal is to reduce out-of-home placements, such as hospitalization, or residential treatment, and to address the mental health needs of the clients and their families where they are.
Our licensed therapists conduct sessions with the individuals and family in their home rather than in an office setting. Our clinicians can also meet your child at school or travel to a favorite spot in town.
The aim of our in-home program is to help families address behavioral and emotional issues and to support and mentor our clients so they’re able to manage real-world challenges and come up with appropriate solutions. Besides providing regular in-home sessions, our clinicians are available to families 24 hours a day, seven days a week to offer guidance when it’s needed most.
The Importance of Using In-Home Therapy
Hillside’s in-home mental health therapy services offer timely intervention and essential support when behavioral or mental health issues may result in a child or adolescent being removed from their home environment. Our services are also excellent for clients who are transitioning home after being in out-of-home placements, such as residential treatment or wilderness programs. For youth whose mental illness significantly impacts their functioning in multiple settings like home, school, and the community, doing therapy at home or in the community can help!
Our comprehensive home-based services can help stabilize your family and promote a healthy home environment. Our clinicians also establish and work on personalized treatments goals which are important to your family. We help our clients and their families address a number of different concerns, including:
- Difficulties at school
- Aggression or acting out behaviors
- Impulse control and behavior management
- Anxiety or depression symptoms
- Self-harming behavior
- Symptoms of trauma
- Communication within the family dynamic
- Anger management
- Healthy conflict resolution
- Essential life skills — money and time management, communication and social skills
Why Intensive In-Home Therapy?
Because it works! Research shows youth and their families who engage in Intensive In-Home Therapy have more successful outcomes than families treated with modalities outside of Intensive In-Home Therapy. Intensive In-Home Therapy is effective because treatment is highly individualized based on the youth and the family’s needs.
Using Home-Based Therapy is unique approach to treating a youth’s mental health because it is structured to address specific family needs. As the Intensive In-Home Therapist “enters” a family’s turf, they are able to provide practical solutions for a family to reach their goals.
“In home therapy services are brilliant and in an ideal world, would be the norm. The counseling provided to our daughter and support to the family was priceless. Our teen was spiraling (ran away, attempted overdose, was failing school, sabotaging family relationships, defiant). I never could have imagined we would be where we are now. Not perfect but our daughter has coping skills, we have a relationship, she has friendships and is passing school. We attribute this to the therapist’s help in our home…addressing issues in real time. We are eternally grateful.”
Benefits of Hillside’s Home-Based Mental Health Program
At Hillside, we ensure our in-home mental health program is tailored to the specific needs of your family unit. Before therapy sessions begin, a licensed clinician will come to your home and complete an assessment. We use the North Carolina Family Assessment Scale, which helps us determine the main areas which need to be addressed to help your family find stability. This evaluation also allows us to develop the best plan of care for your family.
You can expect many benefits when you choose Hillside to provide home-based mental health services, including:
- Appointments and sessions scheduled with your family’s schedule in mind, either at your home or in a community setting
- 24/7 access to our licensed clinicians
- Clinicians who provide additional support and ancillary services to your treatment provider by working with your child’s current therapeutic treatment
- An individualized therapy approach focusing on your family’s strengths and addressing targeted problematic behaviors
Services Included in Hillside’s In-Home Program
When you choose Hillside’s in-home mental health therapy program, we include a large variety of services to ensure each child, adolescent or young adult gets the personalized care they need. Some of our program’s services include:
- Managing behaviors and family and community disruptions to prevent out-of-home placements and higher levels of care
- Community-based skill coaching
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Development of specialized parenting skills
- Creating a family crisis and safety plan
- Identifying and developing appropriate community resources
- Helping both the client and family access needed services
What You and Your Child Can Expect During Intensive In-Home Treatment
Intensive In-Home Therapy assumes that a child’s caregivers play the most important role in creating positive and sustainable change. Instead of addressing struggling youth on an individual basis, Intensive In-Home Therapy aims to help the youth’s entire family create an environment that fosters productive, healthy, and meaningful family interactions. The Intensive In-Home Therapist collaborates not only individually with the youth, but also with the youth’s caregivers, friends, and other community members to help keep the youth on track to achieve their goals.
During treatment, which averages between 3-6 months, the Intensive In-Home Therapist structures treatment rooted in the nine principles listed below.
- Finding the Fit: The therapist aids in assessing the family to understand where presenting problems “fit” into context of the family’s environment. Finding the fit helps guide the treatment process.
- Positive & Strength Focused: The therapist helps identify and use strengths already present in a family system as an asset for change.
- Increasing Responsibility: All interventions are created with the purpose to increase responsible behavior with all family members.
- Present-Focused, Action-Oriented, & Well-Defined: Interventions use present-oriented solution and address what is happening currently in a family’s life.
- Targeting Sequences: Interventions are designed to interrupt or “target” chains of behavior between the youth’s various interacting systems like family, friends, school, community, etc.
- Age Appropriate: Interventions are designed to be age appropriate and developmental needs are taken into consideration.
- Ongoing Effort: Interventions/skills are practiced daily and or weekly by the youth and family members.
- Evaluation & Accountability: During treatment, members from multiple systems in the youth’s life (family, peers, school, and community) will provide ongoing feedback to the therapist in order to adjust treatment plan as needed.
- Generalization: Interventions are designed to coherent and easily implemented so they can be used successfully long term after treatment is over.
Who Is an Appropriate Candidate for Our In-Home Therapy Program?
Our in-home mental health therapy program, or other times referred to as “Home-Based Family Therapy” or “Community-Based Therapy”, is designed for your young child, adolescent or young adult who present with high-risk behaviors, emotional troubles, social deficits or are at risk for out-of-home placement like hospitalization or residential treatment.
We can also help families who require intensive support and need help coordinating their child’s care. For children, adolescents or young adults who have recently been discharged from a residential program or have had acute psychiatric hospitalization, we can also assist in making a smooth transition back into home life.
Insurance and Payment Options
Hillside’s in-home mental health services are covered by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Compsych and Healthscope/Walmart. However, our program is also available via self-pay for all non-BCBS families. For your convenience, we accept:
- MasterCard, Visa and American Express
- Debit cards
- And checks
Please contact our admissions department with any payment questions you may have.
Contact Hillside to Learn More About In-Home Mental Health Care in Atlanta
We are excited to bring premium in-home mental health therapy services to patients throughout Atlanta, GA and the surrounding community. Our clinicians are available to help you and your child learn the skills you need to lead healthy and happy lives.
News & Info
Hillside is taking immediate actions to protect our clients and staff. Using the guidelines from the Center for Disease Control and the Georgia Department of Public Health, the Coronavirus Task Force, comprised of Hillside’s leadership staff, meets several times per...
We can often feel pressure to make the holiday season perfect. Finding the perfect gift, throwing the perfect party, making the perfect meal. All of this can leave us feeling stressed and anxious. So, with the holidays approaching, how do we make sure that we enjoy...